Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I miss my stroll

Wednesday, June 22, 2011
I used to take a long stroll on campus, after regular evening-study for my FM exam, over mid-winter, where snow starting to get frozen plus chilly-wind blowing on my dry face. Starting from Greyhouse - my second 'home' after Purdue Memorial Union's Starbucks, I would walk pass Smoothie King, Brothers Bar and University Book Store, then taking the pathway along West State Street leading towards Harrison Residence Hall, getting into the hall to warm up the body and check out text messages, and continuing to cross Hillenbrand Residence Hall hitting Intramural Field.
This was where the walk got interesting. It was where the actual stroll would start as I would turn on different film's soundtracks on different evenings, dramatically, walking thru the icy-grass field. This scene portrays exactly what it feels like. (I seem can't get the embedded version). I do own that same long coat except that mine is gray-ish.
The last walk I had over my last winter in the States was with Evan, who suggested soundtracks from Pride & Prejudice (2005) - despite his reluctant on just staying at Greyhouse watching Moon & Tides performing. It was a 2-mile walk in 0-degree Fahrenheit. It was one of the coldest walks I've ever had and I felt bad dragging him along as he was the kind who liked heat. We didn't talk at all throughout the whole walk, neither holding our hands as we would do most of the time - may be because it was too cold to keep our full-gloved hands outside of our favorite triple-layer The North Face Ama Dablam Gore-Tex XCR's pockets, but what I like about it was that we seemed know where we were going to. The thing about these walks I loved the most was that I never specified pathways to take, but I know where exactly the end was (I think I was fully brainwashed by Twyla Tharp creative life - loving the process more than the start or the end). Though we were walking on the same pace side-by-side, Evan, not knowing where the end was, seemed to get along very well.
The end was at a lake, the one that cut by Lindberg Rd/ W 200 N. It gets frozen over winter. I was told by Dillon that that lake is safe to skate on if you could see the whole surface of the lake is frozen. I pulled out two pairs of skates from my backpack which I borrowed from Dave. It was my first time ice-skating.
I miss him.


check out the playlist

0 comments:

Post a Comment