Sunday, December 12, 2010

Team it up!

Sunday, December 12, 2010
They train risk modelers slowly. They watch us practice on simple-text-book data on Excel and then small projects on SPSS Modeler. They grill us relentlessly. They raise us like children and eventually they take a cold hard boot and kick us out of the next.

I have two interns came in yesterday - two Jeffs to be specific. One of them is working under me. It definitely reminds me of those early episodes of Grey's Anatomy.

Bailey goes;

I have five rules. Memorize them. Rule number one, don't bother sucking up. I already hate you, that's not gonna change. Trauma protocol, phone list, pagers, nurses will page you. You will answer every page at a run. A run! That's rule number two. Your first shift starts now and lasts 48 hours. You're interns, grunts, nobodies, bottom of the surgical food chain. You run labs, run orders, work every second night until you drop, and don't complain. On-call rooms. Attendings hog them. Sleep when you can where you can, which brings me to rule number three. If I'm sleeping, don't wake me unless your patient is dying. Rule number four: the dying patient better not be dead when I get there. Not only will you have killed someone, you would have woke me for no good reason. We clear?





I am fairly new to this field and the company. So much to learn. I was really ambitious. Taking notes over first few days, paying attentions to every slides over presentations, and asking every single questions popping out in my mind. All because i want to grow up in this profession and eventually in life. But, I never aware of the reality that lies behind it. Things i might lose, people I might abandon, important dates I might forget along the way.

We all want to grow up. We're desperate to get there. Grab all the opportunities we can to live. We're so busy trying to get out of that mess, we don't think about the fact that it's going to be cold out there. Really freaking cold. Because growing up sometimes means leaving people behind. And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment